Tim Sherwood has opened up on his decision to bring back Emmanuel Adebayor to the first-team action after being previously sacked by Andre Villas-Boas’ regime.Adebayor has played for Tottenham from 2012 to 2015. During this three year period, the striker went through a load of ups and downs. Now 36,Adebayor is playing for a Paraguayan clubOlimpia after having joined them in 2020. The striker’s best known for his time with Arsenal, who he represented for three years from 2006 to 2009. During this period, he also had the maximum number of games for any club in his career as he represented the Gunners in 104 games. This was almost twice the tally he managed at Tottenham, as White Hart Lane fans were able to see him for 59 matches.
A significant factor behind the less number of games was the problems between Andre Villas-Boas and Adebayor. The Togo international found himself being relegated from the first-team as a result of his fight with the manager. However, he was brought back to the first-team by Tim Sherwood, who came in as a replacement. Looking back now, Sherwood says that it was important to treat Adebayor in a different way, as it would help him become more expressive in an expansive style of play.
Brighton & Hove Albion legend Kerry Mayo has said that Wilfried Zaha is one of the top 10 players in the country. The Ivory Coast international has played a key role in the Eagles’ stability as a Premier League outfit and Mayo has described the winger as a ‘great player’, who can create something out of nothing.
He told: “There’s so many players potentially close to being that Wilfried Zaha, but not quite there. I don’t think there’s anybody there that you could honestly say could take the game, with a moment of magic, and take it by the scruff of the neck. Wilf Zaha is something else, it pains for me to say it as a Crystal Palace player but he’s a great player. I think he’s a top 10 player in the country and Palace you know, they’ve done a great job keeping him.”
Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha has said that his season starts now with Crystal Palace. The Ivorian was the subject of transfer interest from both Arsenal and Everton during the summer but he was ultimately left disappointed with the Eagles opting against his sale to the latter. The 26-year-old made an indifferent start to the season as he struggled to score goals but of late, he has found his touch by netting in back-to-back games.
One of those came in the 2-0 triumph over Burnley and speaking after that game, Zaha stated that he is getting back to his best, he told the club’s website: “Let me be honest, the only thing I’ve changed is just let me worry about myself, that’s it. I used to get annoyed about everything: the referee, the other team and my own team-mates at times. My season starts now, from (last) Saturday, I’ll just worry about myself and do what I do.” (more…)
Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson has said that he has the ambition of guiding the Eagles to European football following mid-table finishes in the past few seasons. The south London side have managed to stay clear of the drop zone under the guidance of Hodgson and he is now keen to take the next step and push for European football.
Speaking in a press conference, Hodgson acknowledged that he has the dream of propelling the Eagles to the European places but that remains a challenge at the moment with the team in need of more investment, he told: “I think everyone aspires to it, you start the season always dreaming that this season will be better than the previous one and that you will finish higher up the league.”
Everton legend Neville Southall has said that the Toffees have missed the opportunity to lure Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace this summer. The Ivory Coast international was recently the subject of a £55m bid from the Toffees which was declined, and the Merseyside outfit have since stated that they won’t be coming up with a renewed approach for the attacker.
As a result, Zaha appears set to remain with the south London club beyond the summer and Southall feels the Toffees should have done better to pursue the former Manchester United man, he said: “I don’t think he’ll go to Everton, full stop, but it would have been a good a signing for us. I think coming from Crystal Palace, Everton would be a step up and I do think if you look at what we have coming in the future, Everton would have been a better long-term prospect, but I don’t think the transfer is going to happen.” (more…)
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has said that it would be magnificent for the Gunners, should they pursue the signature of Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace this summer. The Ivorian has been regularly linked with the Gunners in the past few weeks and reports have emerged that the club have recently failed with an approach for his signature.
Speaking to South China Morning Post, Wright acknowledged that he would be pleased with the arrival of Zaha at the Emirates, but the club also need to improve on the midfield department, where a void has been left by the departure of Aaron Ramsey, he said: “We’re trying to get Wilfried Zaha, which would be magnificent.
Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Adebayor has aimed a dig at the north London outfit by suggesting that there are no assurances regarding the long-term futures of their leading players. The Togo international has previously indicated that he was pushed through the exit door during his time at Arsenal and he has predicted the same to happen with one of Aubameyang or Lacazette ahead of next season.
Speaking to The Mail, Adebayor said that he did not enjoy the best of times with the Capital outfit where there was the regular occurrence of players making the switch to the likes of Barcelona, he told: “It reached a time where you would go on holiday and be checking the Daily Mail website to see who is close to leaving for Barcelona or Milan.”
Crystal Palace defender Scott Dann believes the club cannot ward off the speculation regarding the futures of Wilfried Zaha and Aaron Wan-Bissaka amid their consistent performances in the club’s shirt. The Eagles recently secured a comfortable 2-0 triumph over Huddersfield and the duo were essential to the result with solid displays.
Speaking after the game, Dann highlighted the importance of keeping hold of Zaha and Wan-Bissaka at the club, given they have been crucial to their progress through the campaign. However, he added that the south London side cannot quell the speculation regarding their futures and there could come a time where they may have to part ways with the pairing.
Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson has said that he is unsurprised with Aaron Wan-Bissaka being ignored for the England senior squad. The right-sided defender has one of the Premier League’s consistent defenders this term but this has not necessarily earned him the maiden call-up to the Three Lions.
Instead, he has been picked for the Under-21s once more and Hodgson insists the selection in itself can be termed as success, he said: “My eyebrows weren’t raised – I don’t see why they should be. He is picked for the England U21s which in itself is a very, very big honour. It is good to know that reading Gareth’s comments that he is obviously aware of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and what he can do. I don’t think Aaron, myself or anyone at the club should start to jumping onto media speculation regarding the player. It is up to him to keep playing well.”
İstanbul Başakşehir has admitted that the club has not received any offers from Fenerbahce for striker Emmanuel Adebayor, who has been on the books of the club since 2017. The Togo international has played for several high-profile clubs like Arsenal, Manchester City, Real Madrid, and Tottenham during his stellar career. However, the striker has been in the wilderness over the last few years and after a spell with Crystal Palace, he has moved to Turkish football with İstanbul Başakşehir. The journeyman does not appear to be resting anytime soon even at 34 years of age. He has been subjected to interest from Fenerbahce, who are keen to take him ahead of Leicester City.
However,İstanbul Başakşehir presidentGökselGümüşdağ has claimed that the club has not received any offers from Fenerbahce. He said that the club’s privacy and confidential transfer activity will not be opened up in this case. The presence of Emmanuel Adebayor has been threatened by the arrival of Demba Ba. The former Chelsea striker has returned to the big league after terminating his contract with Shanghai Shenhua. This will not be his first time in Turkish football, as he spent a period at Besiktas just after leaving Chelsea in 2014. The arrival of Demba Ba is a significant blow for Adebayor’s hopes of getting regular first-team football.